This Sunday isn’t the usual skin care post. It has to do with taking care, but it’s a little deeper than skin.
I’m writing this while on a break during my roller blading.. sitting on a rock, getting bit by Mosquitos, & sweating. A very pretty picture if I do say so myself (lol NOT). I decided to stop because a few thoughts popped into my head that I didn’t want to lose. As hippie-cliche as it sounds~ My mind is at its clearest when it’s in the middle of nature.
While we’re here, I have a random PSA: if you see someone coming toward you on roller blades, don’t stare at them…get out of their way.. Like I am on wheels, people. I can’t control where I go as well as you can on two feet. Also, I’m serious when I say I don’t know how to stop on these things. Please please please do us all a favor & respond when I am flying toward you & say “excuse me!!”
I was talking to someone about a person who has low self-esteem & did something they thought would help them fit in. The person said, in regards to the low self-esteem, “well they should get some”. My response was sarcastic as usual, something like “Ohhhhhh yea, I think Forever 21 is actually having a sale on self esteem! They just released they Fall 2015 Confidence line!!! If you go today you can get two for the price of one!!1!1!11″
OK. Two things:
- self esteem/confidence/faith in yourself is not something one simply goes out & acquires. You don’t go to sleep hating yourself & wake up the next day loving who you are…
- it takes a lot of work to build it. You have to commit to nurturing yourself in order to maintain it
I think it’s easy for people who have a high amount of confidence to overlook the challenges someone else faces when trying to be happy about who they are. Noone is perfect- but some people have a natural tendency to overlook the negative parts. Lucky them!!
We always see standards set for us by people we don’t even know, or someone who’s ‘better’ than us, or what we wish we could be. Well….fuck that! (sorry for the language) But really. No one deserves to feel badly about who they are!
The people you envy on social media because they always post flawless selfies?
- how long do you think it took them to get that perfect picture? Probably way longer than you would ever want to spend taking pictures of your own face..
- how many edits/filters did they apply? (to be determined, probably a lot)
- maybe they’re just naturally photogenic. Applaud them for that & celebrate the wonderful human beings both of you are!
With all things that make us feel less than great about ourselves, we only see the end product (or picture) but never the steps someone took to get there. Everyone has struggles, some are just more apparent than others.
I have a challenge for you. You can call it my ‘sale’ of self-esteem.
Every day write down three (3) things about yourself or your life that make you happy.* Do it right now, when you first wake up, before you go to bed, or right after your first poop of the day. Whenever you want- just do it! It can be things you have control over, or things you don’t…totally up to you.
Here are my 3 pieces of happiness for the day:
- the sun was shining
- I got to spend time alone with my roller blades & my thoughts
- I bought a new tea that is delicious (The Republic of Tea, Be Active Teas: Get Burning Hot Cinnamon Ginger)
If you start doing this consistently, I’m sure your good days will start to outweigh the bad days. You may even start to think in a positive way & smile more & just be overall happier!!
Give it a try!
~peace & all good~
*I’ve learned this little trick so many times, but was reminded of it today at a work meeting. gotta give credit where credit’s due!