Let’s talk about quinoa, shall we?
This delicious, nutrient-packed super grain has been around since before any of the people/places/things we know even existed. It has a mind-blowing 24 g of protein, 12 g of fiber, & only 10 g of fat in a single cup!! ….I repeat, 24 g of protein!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With all of the hype around this foodie gem, there have been some new ~remixes~ to the typical bag of quinoa. Here’s a look into how I used a multi-grain mix to make a quick dinner for empty stomachs everywhere. (I didn’t take pics of the entire process for this one, I was hungry. Sorry…)
1) Fake Fries
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F (or use your grill)
- Slice 2-3 zucchinis into slivers that resemble fries
- Place the sliced zucchini on a sufficient amount of tinfoil
- Lightly drizzle the zucchini with olive oil, pepper, salt, other seasonings of your choice
- Bake/grill until golden brown on the non-skin parts
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before you eat them
2) Quinoa Remix
I used a “multi-grain medley” by Minute Brand, with quinoa, long grain rice, & brown rice. This remix is pre-rinsed, so if you go for this blend you won’t have the pain in the ass job of rinsing your quinoa 🙂
- Fill a small pot with 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of mix you use
- Bring the water to a boil
- Pour the desired amount of mix into the water, turn the heat to low
- Let the grains cook with the heat on until the water has been absorbed & the quinoa has opened:
- Season the blend however you like!
It’s really that easy to make an almost clean meal! Nothing processed except maybe the cheese….but that’s a small enough detail that it can be ignored, right??
I put my mix + zucchini ‘fries’ on a plate with some avocado sliced up on the side. I’m a lover of all things hot, so I also added a healthy amount of red pepper flakes. No one else really cares for the heat….the flakes came as a final touch.
This would also be a great dish to put in a bowl & top with sauteed black beans (personal fav), grilled chicken, any vegetables you really like, some cheese, or just avocado again…because avocado just compliments everything so well ❤
Whatever, you decide to do with your keen-wah/grain remix, enjoy what you’re putting on your plate! Just the simple addition of a few spices can change how your food makes you feel. Make sure you’re getting a warm, fuzzy feeling from your food!
Peace & all good- Leda